BAYANIHAN EQUITY CENTER
The Bayanihan Equity Center (BEC), formerly known as the Veterans Equity Center, is a nonprofit organization originally established in 1999 to serve Filipino World War II veterans. Since then, BEC expanded its services to include low-income seniors, families, people with disabilities, immigrants, homeless individuals, and etc.
The Bill Sorro Housing Program (BiSHoP) is a community based program of the Bayanihan Equity Center committed to addressing housing related issues for low to moderate income individuals, families and seniors.
POSITION TITLE: Housing Caseworker (1.00FTE)
DUTIES AND REPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts comprehensive initial screening to determine eligibility for VEC’s Bill Sorro Housing Program services and educate consumers about program rules.
- Conducts interviews and completes appropriate verification of housing-related documents.
- Explains housing landscape and types of affordable housing to consumers.
- Assists consumers with completing online or paper housing applications.
- Maintains and updates consumer files and program statistics, including, but not limited to, consumer data, and grant-related documentation.
- Provides administrative support as needed including, but not limited to, answering phone calls, scheduling and re-scheduling appointments, handling of daily incoming phone inquiries, voicemails, and emails.
- Submits housing applications on behalf of clients and follows up when necessary, which incudes, but is not limited to, informing clients of lottery results.
- Provides referrals, services and collaborates with other service providers to effectively serve consumers.
- Assists in developing and facilitating trainings and workshops for consumers including computing income for specific housing developments, tenant rights and responsibilities, communication with landlords, etc.
- Evaluates program success and impediments that prevent consumer from successfully finding suitable housing.
- Follows up with consumers regarding their housing options.
- Maintains materials, equipment, and forms necessary for program operations.
- Reports regularly to the Executive Director.
- Performs other duties, as needed, to implement program work plan or assigned by the Executive Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences or relevant field or 1-2 years of experience with a nonprofit organization working with low-income immigrant communities
- Bilingual speaker (Spanish or Tagalog preferred)
- Knowledgeable about the affordable housing system and basic tenant’s rights in San Francisco
- Ability to function independently and have flexibility
- Personal integrity and confidentiality
- Ability to respond to stressful situations in a professional manner
- Ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action
- Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to work in a fast-paced environment
To apply for this position, email a cover letter, resumé, and a writing sample to email@example.com