Here are some volunteer opportunities for the month of November:
1. Food Distribution – Help pass out food or check in clients during our Immigrant Food Assistance Program, 1 – 3 pm, November 5, 12, 19, and 25 (Wednesday).
2. Arts & Crafts – Come decorate parols with our seniors on November 4 and 18 (Wednesdays) from 2 pm – 4 pm.
3. VEC’s Got Talent – Sing Frank Sinatra’s “My Way” and other karaoke classic with our seniors. Music is our form of healing and brings community together. Come sing with us on November 18 (Wednesdays) from 2 pm – 4 pm.
4. Bingo Birthday Bash – Celebrate the births of our lovely seniors with fun and games! Come spend time with them on this day, November 20, 2 pm – 4 pm.
5. Office Support – VEC is open 9 – 5 pm (Closed 12 – 1 pm), Monday through Friday. We need help calling clients, filing, data entry, archiving, and other tasks. If you’re looking for office/administrative experience, VEC is the place for you! We are also looking for volunteers who have experience using Microsoft Office and apps like Salesforce! Help VEC with our data migration project. We also need help on the following weekends:
– November 7, 9am – 2pm – Assist with phonebanking
– November 21, 9am – 2pm
6. Bill Sorro Housing Program – We are looking for volunteers interested in helping us do outreach (phonebanking, literature drop offs) and application assistance for low income families and individuals. Interested in learning more about affordable housing? Come help out during our housing clinic drop in hours every Tuesday, 10 am – 12pm and 1:30pm – 4pm. Training will be provided.
– Housing Workshop: November 10, Tuesday – 5:30pm to 8pm – Help families apply for affordable housing.
– Outreach: Help call clients regarding an upcoming housing opportunity during VEC Office Hours or on November 7.
7. Veterans Day Parade – This Sunday, November 8, join VEC in participating in the San Francisco Veterans Day Parade at Fisherman’s Wharf. We need help organizing students and volunteers and preparing for the day of the event.
– Friday, Nov 6, 2-5 pm: Help prep for parade (poster making)
– Saturday, Nov 7, 9am-12pm: Help prep for parade (logistics)
– Sunday, Nov 8 report time: 8am at VEC (1010 Mission Street)
If you are interested in volunteering for any of these events or would like to schedule a tour of our center, please contact Mary or Caroline 415-255-2347. First time volunteering? Fill out an online volunteer application.