1. Food Distribution – Help pass out food or check clients in during our Immigrant Food Assistance Program, 1 – 3 pm, October 2, 9, 16, 23, and 30.
2. Arts & Crafts – We are looking for volunteers who are interested in helping organize and brainstorm activities for arts & crafts. For example, knitting, painting, parol making, etc. (we’ve also done some cooking lessons!), 2 – 4 pm, October 8, 15, 22, and 29.
3. Computer Class – *For Tagalog speakers: In need of volunteers who can help assist in teaching seniors basic computer skills, 10 am – 12 pm, October 7, 14, 21, and 28.
4. Bingo Birthday Bash Halloween Edition – Celebrate the births of our lovely seniors with fun and games! Help facilitate the bingo game and serve food, *WARNING: may in include some epic photo-taking, dancing and singing, 2 – 4 pm, October 31.
5. Archiving Project – We need help digitizing video and audio tapes of interviews with Filipina/o WWII Veterans. Most interviews are in English. Work for this project would take place during our office hours which is 9 – 5 pm (Closed 12 – 1 pm), Monday through Friday. *We may also be able to accomodate volunteers who are available on Tuesday nights until 7:30 pm (please schedule in advance).
6. Office Support – VEC is open 9 – 5 pm (Closed 12 – 1 pm), Monday through Friday. We need help calling clients, filing, data entry, archiving, and other tasks. If you’re looking for office/administrative experience, VEC is the place for you!
7. Fundraising – VEC is celebrating its 15th year as an nonprofit organization. We are looking to collaborate with volunteers who have innovative ideas on fundraising so that we can continue our activities with our clients and expand as an organization. Additionally, we will be fundraising for the Filipino Veterans cable car for the San Francisco Veterans Day Parade which is on November 9. If you’re interested in brainstorming with VEC on fundraising ideas or would like to volunteer at our 15 Year Anniversary onNovember 12, we welcome students, community workers, and individuals from all walks of life!
8. Bill Sorro Housing Program – Do you believe that housing is a human right? Are you interested in learning about development and the effects of gentrification? Volunteer
with VEC’s Bill Sorro Housing Program (BiSHoP)! We are looking for volunteers interested in community organizing, outreach, and helping families apply for housing.
Additional Volunteer Opportunities:
1. In need of volunteers who have experience with Google Apps and/or Salesforce. If you have any experience, please let me know!
2. Social Media Management: Do you have experience with WordPress? Facebook? Instagram? VEC is looking for volunteers who can help update our social media on a daily basis until on the November 9 Veterans Day Parade! We also need help updating our website.
3. Data Entry: Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5pm, we need help inputting data onto excel.
4. Outreach: Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5pm, we need help calling clients regarding an upcoming housing rental opportunity and also our voter education workshop this Thursday.
5. Voter Education Workshop: Thursday, October 24, 5:30pm – 7:30pm. VEC will be hosting a workshop on the various ballot measures for the upcoming November 2014 elections. We need help with sign in and also making copies of our education materials.
6. Screen Printing: Do you have experience in screen printing? VEC needs assistance in printing t-shirts for the Veterans Day Parade. We have the materials, we just need help mass producing some!
7. Workshop @ SFSU: VEC will be hosting a workshop on October 30 at 6pm at San Francisco State University (Room TBA). We need volunteers who can help facilitate group discussions. I would probably want to meet with volunteers around 5pm just so we can go over the workshop agenda.
8. Volunteer Coordination: In need of 3-4 students who can help coordinate volunteers for the November 9 Veterans Day Parade. We need to identify chant leaders, create posters, and pass out informational leaflets.
9. Fundraising: We still have not reached our goal of raising $1,000 for the Veterans Day Parade cable car for the Veteranas/os. If interested, let’s brainstorm ideas on how we can reach this goal.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Caroline Calderon by emailing email@example.com