Good Morning and Happy Filipino American History Month!
History Fact: The reason why VEC was established was because in February 1946, U.S. Congress passed the Rescission Act that stripped Filipino Veterans from the benefits and privileges promised to them if they fought under the U.S. flag (which over 250,000 Filipino men and women did). To this day, many of the veterans are not able to access VA services and benefits and are awaiting full recognition for their service and sacrifices from the United States.
Here are some volunteer opportunities for the month of October:
1. Food Distribution – Help pass out food or check in clients during our Immigrant Food Assistance Program, 1 – 3 pm, October 1, 8, 15, 22, and 29.
2. VEC’s Got Talent – Sing Frank Sinatra’s “My Way” and other karaoke classic with our seniors. Music is our form of healing and brings community together. Come sing with us on October 7 and 21 (Wednesdays) from 2 pm – 4 pm.
3. Arts & Crafts / Parol Making –Come help VEC and our seniors make parols and create a performance piece for our contingent!
– October 21, 2pm-4pm: Brainstorming Ideas
– October 28, 2pm-4pm: Finalize Idea
– November 4, 2pm-4pm: Start creating parols
– November 18, 2pm-4pm: Create parols
– November 25, 2pm-4pm: Create parols and start learning performance
– December 2, 2pm-4pm: Create parols and practice performance
– December 9, 2pm-4pm: Final Performance Rehearsal
4. Senior Luncheon – Help serve food and facilitate games for our VEC seniors, Saturday, October 17, 10am – 2:30 pm
5. Halloween Bingo Birthday Bash – Celebrate the births of our lovely seniors with fun and games! Come spend time with them on this day, October 30, 2 pm – 4 pm.
6. Office Support – VEC is open 9 – 5 pm (Closed 12 – 1 pm), Monday through Friday. We need help calling clients, filing, data entry, archiving, and other tasks. If you’re looking for office/administrative experience, VEC is the place for you! We are also looking for volunteers who have experience using Microsoft Office and apps like Salesforce! Help VEC with our data migration project.
7. Bill Sorro Housing Program – We are looking for volunteers interested in helping us do outreach (phonebanking, literature drop offs) and application assistance for low income families and individuals. Interested in learning more about affordable housing? Come help out during our housing clinic drop in hours every Tuesday, 10 am – 12pm and 1:30pm – 4pm. Training will be provided.
– Housing Workshop: October 13, 2015 – 5:30pm to 8pm – Help families apply for affordable housing.
– Outreach: Help call clients regarding an upcoming housing opportunity during VEC Office Hours.
8. Veterans Day Parade – Save the Date for Sunday, November 8. VEC will be participating in the San Francisco Veterans Day Parade at Fisherman’s Wharf. We need help organizing students and volunteers, fundraising for the cable car that our veteran@s and their families will ride, and preparing for the day of the event. Click here for more details.
1) Friday, October 9, 2015 – 4pm – SF City Hall – Commemorating Domestic Violence Awareness month and Filipino History month, Bay Area women will come together to speak out and dance against ALL forms of violence towards women and our families. Community Practice Dates:
– Tuesday, 10/5, 6pm at Bayanihan Community Center (1010 Mission Street)
– Wednesday, 10/6, 6pm at SOMCAN (1110 Howard)
– Thursday, 10/8, 6pm at Bayanihan Community Center
2) Attend any of the following events and write a VEC volunteer reflection:
- Wed 10/7 — Bookshop event w/ David Talbot & Tony Robles, 3:30pm – 4:30pm, 1644 Haight St.
- Sat 10/10 — District 1 Joseph Smooke Prop I House Party, 11am-12pm, 366 10th Ave.
- Sat 10/10 — Rise4Revolution, 6pm-8pm, 1010 Mission St.,Women from different communities will share the impact of displacement, forced migration, and state violence on women and our families — issues that plague our communities from the Bay Area to the Philippines to Palestine & all over the world. https://www.facebook.com/events/592916477513419/
- Friday, October 16 @ 7PM – Artists Fundraiser for Prop I at Pacific Felt Factory 2830 – 20th St
- Saturday, October 17 @10AM (3 Mobilizations)
1) Plaza 16 – Community Mobilizes for the Mission at 2301 Mission at 19th – Sign up to Volunteer
2) Prop I IDs the Haight at Oak and Central (Panhandle)- Sign up to Volunteer
3) CCE and Labor Council IDs the BayView at 1331 Evans (ACCE) – Sign up to Volunteer
- Sunday, October 18 @ 11AM – 4PM – Milk Club, Latino Democratic Club, Green Party, PODER Tables at Valencia and 16th Street – Sign up to Volunteer
If you are interested in volunteering for any of these events or would like to schedule a tour of our center, please contact Mary or Caroline 415-255-2347. First time volunteering? Fill out an online volunteer application.